Mexican Tomato-Colored Rice (with fresh vegetables)
- 1 1/2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 cup long – or medium-grain rice
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1 large clove garlic, peeled and finely diced
- 1 ripe, medium-small tomato, roasted boiled, cored and peeled OR 1/2 15-ounce can tomatoes, drained
- 1 1/2 cups broth or water
- Salt, about 1/2 teaspoon if using salted broth,
- 1 teaspoon if using unsalted broth or water.
- 1 cup fresh or (defrosted) frozen peas (optional)
- 1 large carrot, peeled and chopped into 1/4-inch dice (optional)
- Several sprigs of fresh coriander (cilantro) or flat leaf parsley, for garnish
1. Frying the rice: About 40 minutes before serving; measure the oil into a 1 1/2 to 2-quart saucepan set over medium heat. Add the rice and onion, and cook, stirring regularly, until both are lightly browned, 7 to 10 minutes. Mix in the garlic and cook a minute longer.
2. The liquid ingredients: While the rice is frying, prepare the tomato: Seed it, if you like, by cutting it in half width-wise and squeezing out the seeds, then puree it in a blender or food processor. Pour the broth or water into a small pan, add the salt and bring just to a simmer.
3. Simmering and steaming the rice: Add the pureed tomato to the browned rice and cook for a minute, stirring several times. Add the simmering broth, stir the rice, scrape down the sides of the pot, cover and reduce the heat to medium-low. Cook fifteen minutes, then turn off the heat and let the rice stand for 5 to 10 minutes, covered, until the grains are tender.
4. The optional vegetables: While the rice is cooking, simmer the fresh peas until tender ( 4 to 20 minutes, depending on their size and freshness), then drain and set aside; frozen peas only need to be defrosted. Separately, simmer the carrot 5 to 8 minutes, drain and add to the fresh or defrosted peas.
5. Finishing the rice: When the rice is tender, add the optional vegetables and fluff with a fork to separate the grains. Scoop the rice into a warm serving dish, decorate with fresh cilantro or parsley.
4 - 6 Servings
Prep Time 15 min
Cook Time 20 min
Ready Time 35 min