Curried Tempeh with Brown Rice And Peas
- 1/4 cup tamari
- 1 tablespoon curry powder
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh gingerroot
- 8 ounces tempeh, cut in half horizontally and then into 1-inch cubes
- 3 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 large onion, cut into thin rings
- 1/2 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1/2 teaspoon coriander
- 1 cup long-grain brown rice
- 2 cups thawed frozen peas
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh cilantro
Combine 1 cup water, tamari, curry powder, and ginger in medium saucepan. Add tempeh, bring to a boil, reduce heat, cover, and simmer 20 minutes. Remove pan from heat,uncover, and allow to cool to room temperature in liquid. Drain tempeh and discard liquid.
Heat 2 tablespoons of the oil in a large sauté pan. Add tempeh and sauté over medium heat until nicely browned and crisp, about 7 minutes. Transfer tempeh to bowl and set aside.
Add remaining oil to pan along with onion, turmeric, and coriander. Cook, stirring often, until onion has softened, about 5 minutes. Add rice and stir cook one minute.
Add 2 3/4 cups water to pan, reduce heat, cover, and simmer until rice is done, 40 to 45 minutes. Stir in peas, cilantro, and tempeh and heat through for several minutes. Add salt to taste. Serve and enjoy.
4 - 6 Servings
Prep Time 15 min
Cook Time 20 min
Ready Time 35 min