Preheat broiler In a large pot, heat oil over medium heat. Add onion and garlic. Cover and cook over medium-low heat until onion is soft, about 5 minutes. Add sweet potatoes and stir well. cover and cook for 10 minutes. Add stock or water and thyme; bring to a boil. Reduce heat, cover and simmer […]
1 Tbs. olive oil
1 large onion, peeled and chopped (2 cups)
2 cloves garlic, crushed
1 & 1/2 sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch squares (6 cups)
2-3 sprigs fresh thyme
3 large red bell peppers
2 Tbs. fresh lemon juice
Cayenne pepper to taste
Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
2 Tbs. sour cream for garnish
Small sprigs fresh thyme for garnish
- Preheat broiler
- In a large pot, heat oil over medium heat.
- Add onion and garlic.
- Cover and cook over medium-low heat until onion is soft, about 5 minutes.
- Add sweet potatoes and stir well. cover and cook for 10 minutes.
- Add stock or water and thyme; bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat, cover and simmer until potatoes are tender, about 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, roast peppers under broiler, turning with tongs until charred all over, about 10 minutes.
- When peppers are cool enough to handle, remove charred skins, stem, seeds and ribs.
- Discard thyme sprigs from soup.
- Transfer soup and roasted bell peppers to blender or food processor and process until smooth.
- Return mixture to pot and gently reheat.
- Add lemon juice, cayenne, salt and pepper to taste.
- To serve, ladle soup into warmed bowls and garnish each serving with a swirl of sour cream and several small springs of thyme.