Mashed Yams with Brown Sugar and Spice
- 6 lbs. yams
- 1/2 to 1 cup firmly packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup heavy cream or half-and-half
- 6 Tbs. butter at room temperature
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp. ground nutmeg
- 1/2 tsp. ground allspice
- 1 Tbsp. vanilla extract Salt
- 1/2 cup coarsely chopped pecans
- Preheat oven to 325°.
- Place the yams on a baking sheet and pierce in several places with a fork.
- Bake until very tender when pierced with a fork, about 1 hour.
- Remove from the oven and let cool slightly. (Maintain the oven temperature.)
- Butter a 2-3 quart baking dish.
- Halve the yams and, using a spoon, scrape the flesh from the skins into a large bowl.
- Add 3/4th cup (or half, if you halving the sugar) of the brown sugar and the cream or half-and-half, butter, cinnamon, nutmeg, allspice and vanilla.
- Using an electric mixer on medium speed (or potato masher or wooden spoon), beat until smooth, about 2 minutes.
- Season to taste with salt.
- Spoon into the prepared baking dish, smoothing on the top.
- Sprinkle the pecans and the remaining sugar evenly over the top.
- Bake until heated through, about 30 minutes.
- Serve hot directly from the dish.