This salad has such a following among westerners because its flavors are so refreshing. The tang of lime juice, the fragrance of fresh herbs and the nutty aroma of roasted rice make it unlike any other salad
- Prep Time:
- Cook Time:
- Ready Time:
- 1 pound Crisp- Fried Tofu
- 2 stalks fresh lemon grass, finely chopped
- 6 kaffir lime leaves, finely chopped
- 3 to 6 red chili peppers, seeded and chopped
- 1/4 to 1/2 cup fresh lime juice
- 2 tablespoons fish sauce
- 2 tablespoons ground roasted rice
- 1 green onion, chopped
- 10 sprigs Chinese parsley, chopped
- 12 mint leaves, chopped
- Lettuce leaves or cabbage squares
- Garnish: Green onions, sliced
- Mint leaves
Cube Crisp-Fried Tofu and set aside to cool. In a bowl combine tofu, lemon grass, kaffir lime leaves, chopped chili peppers, lime juice and fish sauce; mix well. Stir in ground rice, green onion, parsley and mint. Transfer to platter and serve at room temperature with lettuce. Garnish with green onions and mint leaves. Makes 6 servings.
To prepare ground roasted rice place rice in a heavy pan over medium heat. Carefully brown the rice until dark brown. Set aside to cool. Place in a blender or a spice mill and reduce to a fine powder. Store in an airtight container.
the Chinese parsley. Makes 1 1/2 cups.
liquid. Fluff with fork before serving. Garnish with parsle